Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Miles driven



For a while now, I have been wanting to keep track of how many miles I drive, both for work and personal use.  Why? Because I am curious about Carbon Offset and how much it would cost to balance out my driving.  A while ago I posted that if everyone lived like I do, it would take 2.75 Earths to sustain us all.  While we can't make a few more Earths, I can reduce my impact on the one we have.

The plan is to enter in how many miles I drive daily into a GoogleDocs form I made. (I can walk you through it if you'd like)  When I pull it up on my phone it looks like this:
All I have to do is select one of the four preset vehicles I drive the most (or other if borrowing/renting a car) enter in the millage and hit submit.  The information is then automatically sent to a spreadsheet which I have posted above. (I am going to be making a button on the homepage for this soon)  At the end of every month, I will sort the raw data into total millage per vehicle and post the results.  I am still looking for good data about the amount of carbon produced for each vehicle and once I find that, I will share it as well.

I am going to try and get work to buy carbon offsets (or many plant enough trees) to offset the amount of carbon released by just one employee over the course of a month or year.

If you would like to do something like this as well, let me know and I can post your information as well.  I can make you the same spreadsheet or you can just post/email me how many miles you drive a month and what kind of vehicle you drive.

You can find out your Ecological Footprint here: www.myfootprint.org

No comments: