Monday, October 12, 2009

Potato Harvest


 
 

Epic Failure.  Okay, it wasn't THAT bad but the 40ish potatoes was no where close to the 60lbs I was expecting.  We did however learn lots from our first year as potato farmers...
  1. Less water...1-2inches a week is all.  I think we gave them about 1-2 inches a day!
  2. Plant the seed potatoes a little further apart
  3. Buy better seed potatoes...I think some of ours where duds
  4. Start sooner in the season
  5. Plant several types to have potatoes all season long
  6. Find a better way to harvest...my back is STILL sore!
  7. Don't let the tomatoes bury/break the potato vines
The other bummer was that we did not get many potatoes more then 8inches about the seed potatoes.  I'm not sure if this is because of the above mentioned reasons or if they were mislabeled at the store...seemed a little shady.

No worries.  We had fun and will try again next year.

No comments: