Monday, November 9, 2009

Addictions...round two

I think it is important to stop and take time every so often to check yourself.  One of the things I check is wither or not I have become or am becoming addicted to something.  Back in march I wrote about my addiction to microwaves which led us to get rid of it all together.  (little side note: I am happy to report that I am CURED from this addiction and have no desire to ever own a microwave again.) 

In this post, I want to share about something I just learned I was addicted to...free stuff.  The worst free stuff addiction I have is with alcohol.  It seems that if someone else is paying, I just want to keep drinking.  The good news is that this is not because I am an alcoholic, but rather because I am cheep :)  I love flying Horizon (They run the flight for Alaskan Airlines) from Reno to Seattle because they always serve free wine and beer from local NW vineyards and brewers.  I think I might have had four glasses on one really empty flight once which is a lot with the high altitude.  I'll even drink bad beer if it's free.  Some friends took us out last new years and because they kept buying the drinks, I had more then I should have or would have normally.

Like I said, I am not an alcoholic but because my behavior changes in ways I don't want it to when the drinks are free (i.e. drinking more then I normally would) I do think this is a problem.  My normal rule of thumb is not to have more then two drinks in an evening out or one glass of wine at home.  My NEW rule is to pay for all drinks that Firefly or I drink, no beer and only one glass of wine if at a friends house. This is in addition to the above two drink rule. 

I think it is a good idea to place restrictions on yourself if you feel your own self-control in a certain area needs strengthening.  You should know your own strengths and weaknesses.  If you can't see where you might be weak or weaking, ask those around you to LOVING point it out to you.  And don't get mad at them when they do :)

The other free addiction I have is with piles of free stuff in front of peoples houses.  I just want to load it all up and take it home! I have been pretty good about this and in the last two years have only brought home three items...a bike, a desk, and a rotary phone...all three of which are still in use today.  I only bring home things that will be used immediately and only need a little love.  

So?  What are you addicted to? 

4 comments:

Amber said...

Ha ha! I've got the same free stuff addiction, plus a second hand stuff addiction. I try to keep it under control by gifting more stuff than I hang onto, and making sure that I have a real, practical use for the items I keep for myself. Sometimes it's hard though, 'cause I'm a sucker for purty nick nacks!

I wish I could find a rotary phone for free. I've been looking for one for ages, but the only ones I've seen sell for $40+ at the fancy, hipster, mid-century modern store nearby.

Morgan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Morgan said...

I believe that desk needed a bit more than a "little" love. :)

Kathy or Mil said...

I think I'm a wee bit addicted to cooking!! I can't stand it when I have some free time I go right in to the kitchen and cook...Why because I like it so much. I think I need to work on this :)