Thursday, November 5, 2009

Kiva hits $100 Million Dollars in Loans

I've talked about Kiva.org here on the blog before but now there is even more good news!  In the 4.5 years Kiva.org has been lending money, they have just reached $100 Million dollars in loans.  I read about this story here, and here.

Kiva's website says that the first loans made in March of 2005 total $3,500.  From $3,500 to $100,000,000 in just over 4 years!  I think this really shows how much good one or two people can do in the world.

We were told about Kiva about 2 years ago and this year started loaning out money.  Right now we have lent $50 and once it is paid back, we will lend it out again along with another $50.  I figure if we keep added and reloaning then in a few years, we might be able to fully support someone.  The way Kiva typically works is to combine our $50 with your $50 and our neighbors $10 and your aunts $200 until the total loan amount is reached.

Click here to check out all the loan requests and see if there is anyone that you want to help.  Our first loan was on behalf of my Dad for his birthday.  Maybe I'll check it out for Chirstmas this year as well.


2 comments:

Lori said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lori said...

Thanks for posting the link for this. I have heard a lot of very good things about them.
I think it is something I definately want to participate in.