Monday, November 16, 2009

Recycling #5 Plastic



I don't know about where you live but here in Reno, our waste managment company will only recycle plastics that are #1 or #2.  They take the rest of it to the landfil out of town and bury it.  Because of this, Firefly and I have tried VERY hard to only buy #1 or #2 plastic if we buy it at all.

This was simply a fact of life until last friday.  I stopped at the Delta Cafe (organic, fair trade, shade grown, coffee @1500 prater way) for my monthly splurge on coffee at work (the rest of the time I bring it from home) and I found a copy of GRENO - all that's green in northern Nevada.

In this copy of GRENO I found an article stating that you can now take all your #5 plastic to Whole Foods and drop them into the #5 plastic bins by the middle front doors.  Whole Foods will then send the plastic back east on it's trucks after they make their deliverys.  From there, Whole foods will ship the plastic to:

Preserve Gimme 5
823 NYS Rte 13
Cortland, New York 13045
1-888-354-7296

You can send them your plastic dirrect if you would like, or if you don't have a Whole Foods.  I recommend calling your local Whole Foods before taking your plastic down.

No comments: