Saturday, February 20, 2010

The Rice has been Milk'd


I was surprised at how easy it really was to make our own rice milk.  I decided that I really didn't want to let the rice cook for 3 hours! (see last post) so I used my own recipe.

Rice Milk
1 cup organic brown rice (Long or Short, I used short)
4 cups water
Honey (Local of course!)

Rise the rice. Boil the water.  Add the rice to the water once water is boiling.  Turn heat down and let simmer for 30 min.  Remove from heat.  Using a ladle, fill a blender half way with the rice/water mixture.  Fill the rest of the blender with cold water and blend until smooth.  Pour through a mesh strainer into another large bowl.   Once all the rice/water mixture has been blended and strained, fill the blender with the rice milk.  Add honey (or sugar, maple syrup, ect) to taste (I added 1 tablespoon honey per blender batch) and then blend again to mix in the sweetness.  Pour into mason jars and secure with lid.  You can add more water if milk is thicker then you like. (you can also add vanilla, or anything else, as well if you'd like)

Ours was thinner then cow's milk but thicker then store bought rice milk and the yield was 2 quarts.  
I still wasn't able to find on storage other then most people agree that it will keep in the fridge, with a good lid, for about 5-7 days.  I put one quart in the fridge and two pints in the freezer.  My plan is to make the quart last 7 days and then use the frozen milk in 2 weeks and 4 weeks to see if it keeps.  I'll let you know how it turns out. 
  
I now understand the saying about teaching a man to fish... We are no longer dependent on the supermarket for our milk.  
We went from these ingerdients:

Filtered water, brown rice, expeller pressed canola oil, tricalcium phosphate, natural flavor, sea salt, guar gum, xanthan gum, carob bean gum, carrageenan, vitamin a palmitate, vitamin d2, and a non-recyclable container.

to these:
Water (snow melt), organic brown rice, local honey, and reusable mason jars






No comments: