Lets just start by saying that I won this fight overall...it took me three hours, but I won! For those that don't know, we got this dishwasher for free when we moved in. It looked like it as in pretty bad shape but lucky us, it was just dirty. All it came with was the dishwasher it's self...no hardware so after some quick messurements, off to ACE (Carter Brother's to be exact) we went.
Side note: I love ACE hardware because the employees always know where everything is and how to help you do almost any project.
From ACE we picked up a few hoses, some clamps, a valve splitter, two black trash cans (compost bins), and an air gap that we ended up not using.
First I turned off the house water and switched out the old valve with the split valve and attached the faucet and the dishwasher to the two valves. (Split the hot water line). Then I attached the new inlet hose to the dishwasher and ran the drain hose from the dishwasher to the air gap to the disposal making sure that the air gap was above the disposal unit. Once all was tight, I turned on the house water and turned on the valve...no leaks!
We fired up the dishwasher and it sounded like it was eating glass and the spin arms would not spin...bummer! A quick google search and we were back in business. Turns out that the dishwasher need to be primed so we added a half gallon of water. Result - no more noise but still no arm spinage. Back to Google....we checked the float and it was clean as a whistle. Hrm, I had a feeling that it was not getting enough water pressure so I decided to take apart the inlet valve and clean it. I knew that this would take me about 30min so I decided to try some more water first...if a little prime was good a bigger prime must be better right? Oh YEAH! I added another gallon of water and everything worked great! almost
Once we got to the drain cycle, the dishwasher threw up everywhere! Turns out where I mounted the air gap was a bit to low....this was a problem because it was as high as I could get it under the sink :( We let the dishwasher finish it's drain ccyle with me holding the air gap over a bucket in case it felt the need to throw up some more.
The air gap is not needed for the drain cycle to work, it just helps protect against a backflow of water. Some cities require you to have one but I have no idea if Reno is one of those. I was getting tired now so I disconnected and reattached a few hoses bypassing the air gap and fired that bad boy up. Perfect!
I still had to little leaks from where the last person had removed the door screws but that was a fairly easy fix...just two screws and a little sealer stopped that leak right quick!
The last thing to do for the night was to slid the dishwasher back into place and run a test load. No leaks and a clean dishwasher!
Thank you Google for your answers and thank you Love for your excelent Googling. Morgan looked up "GE DISHWASHER ANGRY NOISE" hehe
Oh yeah, I think we ended up using something like 6 towels during this whole thing.