Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Crane Lake Merlot

Wine Review: Crane Lake Merlot
Winery: Crane Lake Cellars
Type: Merlot
Region: Napa Valley, California
Year: 2006
Price: $3.50

My wife and I were introduced to Crane Lake wines about six wonderful months ago. I’ve always enjoyed wine but never knew much about it. I always assumed that good wine was expensive wine. Well, I am glad to report that I was wrong!

Crane Lake Cellars has several wonderful wines but my favorite is the ’06 Merlot. Your nose is almost overwhelmed with a strong flowering fruit smell as you slide the cork from the bottle. The first glass is strong and sweet and I have yet to hear anyone cough after drinking this red wine.

Like a caterpillar in its cocoon, this Merlot changes into something very unique. After letting the wine breath for only a day, it is suddenly alive with spice and burns with a warming fire as you drink it. The change is unbelievable

As much as I love this wine, I love the price even more. A 750ml bottle of Crane Lake Merlot will only set you back about $3.50. I suggesting buying at least one or two extra bottles of this wine because it seems to go quick!

No comments: